Friday, November 30, 2007

Uxorious

My aspiration is to learn a word a day times three (one word in English, one in French and one in Spanish).

Too tired to start with French/Spanish thing today, but have one word that I was curious about in English: uxorious.

Context: "self assured, ..., non-drinker, and, once he had married Goldwyn Girl Gloria Delson, in 1945, steadfastly uxorious."

Definition: "Excessively submissive or devoted to one's wife." (I like this word!)

Can not find a one word translation of "uxorious" into Russian. Just getting: "чрезмерно любящий свою жену".

I noticed the word in "Movies Rock" supplement magazine. It was in the article about songwriter Van Heusen (pal of Sinatra). I was shocked to read about how objectified women were in America at that time - it made me want to throw up. Seriously, I had no idea it was that bad. Van Heusen and Sinatra were womanizer pigs.

The other article I liked was on "Saturday Night Fever". Disco music and fashion turn me off so much - I never watched the movie, but now I am curious to see it. I also never knew that 22 year old Travolta had a 40 year old girlfriend who died of cancer in his arms.

No comments:

ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center

Stop Puppy Mills