Tuesday, May 29, 2007

La Bayadere at the Met

I went to see La Bayadere last week at the Met. I wanted to compare the version I saw by Bolshoi Theater in Moscow with American Ballet Theater's version.

When I first saw it in Moscow, I disliked the plot - it felt very forced as if it was written at the last moment.

This time, knowing the limitations of the plot, I was able to enjoy La Bayadere much more. The role of Nikiya, the temple dancer, was performed by Nina Ananiashvili. I had an out of this world moment watching her dance the first scene. She made it seem so effortless, like her body is made out of hot wax and there were no angles in her movements - just perfect flowing. I would love to see more of this dancer.

Irina Dvorovenko was Gamzatti. She was good, but I felt like the role does not give her a chance to have a "wow" moment.

I also loved the music - hearing it for the second time made it more memorable.

No comments:

ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center

Stop Puppy Mills