Sunday, December 30, 2007



I am big on recycling and was glad to learn about Office of Recycling Outreach and Education where all my recycling questions can be answered.

While there, I learned that NYC residents can recycle clothing, textiles and shoes (including clothing, hats, coats, towels, bedding, jackets & shoes!). Used textiles represent almost 6% of the City's waste stream, or there are almost 190,000 tons of textiles annually that could be potentially be recovered and recycled (data from "City Sierran", Volume 24, No. 1).

I used to bring old sneakers to Nike and clothing that were in OK condition to Goodwill or homeless shelter, but it is wonderful to be able to recycle stuff that can not be donated. Textiles that can not be reused is turned into wiping and polishing cloths, fiber for mattresses and couches and so on.

I also learned about Wearable Collections organization, that can provide a collection bin for buildings. I will certainly ask our building to implement that.

No comments:

ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center

Stop Puppy Mills